Sunday, 27 December 2015

Facts and Figures

I remember when I first found out that I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), I sat on the computer for hours researching. I felt overwhelmed with the information and found that there was a lot of conflicting statistics that were really confusing. I don't claim to be an expert. I don't have a degree or anything… but what I've tried to do is sift through some of the information that is floating around the land of the internet and present it to you here.

The information I have found comes from Australian websites as this is where I am based… however, the statistics are similar in most other countries. I have linked the information I have provided for you to look into further if you so wish!

Now… PCOS affects anywhere between 10-20% of all women of reproductive age. The reason why this is such a vague amount is because up to 70% of women with PCOS remain undiagnosed (click here for more information). So you may have it and not even realise.

To be diagnosed with PCOS you need to meet two of the three of the following criteria:
1. Ovaries are 'polycystic' (they contain 12 or more cysts)
2. High androgens (male hormones)
3. Menstrual dysfunction (irregular periods, lack of ovulation)
(click here for more information)

There are a number of symptoms that women with PCOS have. Some of these are visible, others are 'invisible'. Acne, excessive hair growth, and weight gain are the popular visible signs. Diabetes, heart disease, infertility and high cholesterol are the common 'invisible' signs (click here for more information). So PCOS can be quite serious regardless of whether you want babies or not. For me falling pregnant was problem number one, but as soon as I had my son I became concerned about my long-term health as I want to be around and a part of his life for as long as possible.

You cannot "get rid" of PCOS but you can reduce its effects and symptoms. Diet and exercise are the best way to do this. Exercising every day is recommended and eating a clean diet can assist in managing weight and helping with insulin resistance (click here for more information). Some doctors may prescribe metformin to help with insulin resistance. I used metformin and combined it with a low-carb diet and fell pregnant three months later. I'll go into more detail about this in future posts.

If you're wanting more information about PCOS or if you're wanting assistance in controlling your PCOS, IVF Australia run regular clinics. Click on the image below to be directed straight to their website.


I hope that this information was helpful for you! PCOS can be really daunting at first, but the more you know the better control you will have over it! I wish you all the very best in your journey… feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment